History of TRP

Founded in 1952, TRP is the longest-running theatre in Minneapolis, and second only to Old Log Dinner Theatre in Excelsior as the oldest theatre in the Twin Cities region. It is the fourth-oldest community theatre in the state, after Duluth (1914), Fargo-Moorhead (1946), and Rochester Civic (1951).

HISTORY VIDEOS

(8:12 – Aired Oct 13, 2012)

Featured on Minnesota Original, the weekly art series of Twin Cities Public Television (TPT).

TRP: For the Love Of It

(Part 1 – 6:44) | Part 2 – 9:17)

TRP Artists look back on creating its shows.

(68:56 – Aired 2019)

The history of Theatre in the Round Players.

(1952-1963)

A group of seven artists set out a goal to begin a theatre supported by members.

(1963-1969)

The theatre moved to a new location which brought about new growth opportunities.

(1969) 

The theatre moved to its current location with all operations under one roof.

(1969-1979)

TRP pioneered theatre for under represented communities in the Twin Cities.

(1980s and 90s)

TRP painted its facade with a mural of its blueprint and was an initial host theatre for Fringe Fest.

(2000-2019)

TRP surpassed 50 seasons and completed facility renovations to ensure years of continued success.

(2020-  )

After going dark for a pandemic, TRP has returned with more seasons.

Alphabetical listing