How our “face” has changed…

TRP pre-Bimbo's

When Theatre in the Round debuted in 1953, it performed at the YWCA at 12th and Nicollet in downtown Minneapolis. It became established and its seasons grew. By 1963, it had moved to its own space at 1308 Stevens Avenue.

After five years at that location, TRP was forced to move and, after some searching, they found a burnt-out, abandoned pizza restaurant on the West Bank…

 

round circleLooking for a new home in the late ‘60s, TRP people found the abandoned, fire-damaged Bimbo’s Pizza Parlor for rent in historic Seven Corners. With design supervision by Ralph Rapson and Assoc. (designers of the original Guthrie Theater), and thousands of hours of “sweat equity” by volunteer workers, TRP built a modern, 287-seat arena theatre. It moved into its new home in 1969 in time to open its 18th season with The Killing of Sister George.

.

Facade_1985When it was announced that a stadium would be built nearby, rising property values meant that TRP would have to buy its building or move out of Seven Corners. It launched a capital campaign to stay and, to help promote the campaign, in 1985 the theatre painted the actual blueprint of planned renovations on its facade. This bright blue design became a local landmark and was featured in national press, including the cover of the magazine Theatre Crafts. CLICK HERE for the full story on the Blueprint Mural.

 

DSCN0103AIn the summer of 2016, the theatre was able to complete major long-term goals in repairing and doing essential maintenance on outside of its building. Its 100+-year- old walls were patched and tuck-pointed, the cornice along the top of the front wall was replaced, and more. The building was made stable and secure for its next 100 years – and ready for a new design…